History

250th Anniversary Celebration Slideshow

 

 

Historic Commission Donates Plaque to Borough

The Oxford Historic Commission unveiled a plaque that they presented to Borough Council on October 19. Pictured left to right: Councilor Dr. Russell Doyle, Representative Art Hershey, Commission members, Dr. Faye Doyle, Mrs. Jane Delong, Paul Ashford and  long-time supporter John H. Ware, IV.

House Plaque Program
The Oxford Historic commission is sponsoring a house plaque program to recognize the creation of the Oxford Historic District. The 5" x 7" plaques are crafted of solid bronze and are suitalbe for display on the exterior of   qualifying houses in the Historic District. The plaques feature an image of the old Oxford Train Station, and have an oval in which the original date of the house is routed.
 
The train station was chosen as the symbol because it was the arrival of the train in the late 1860's that was responsiblr for the growth of Oxford. In the decades after the beginning of train service, Oxford's population doubled again and again as the town became the center of trade between Philadelphia and Baltimore. In addition to the increase in population, many businesses were begun and thrived during the period after the Civil War.  This period of significance continued until the late 1930's when the appearance of the automobile began to diminish the importance of the train.
 
The plaque program has been highly successful so far. The initial order of plaques has been sold out, and the Historic Commission had to place a second order. If a homeowner would like to see the plaques, a stroll down Penn Avenue will reveal several homes with plaques in place. In addition to Penn Avenue the other main streets of Oxford that are in the Historic District include: Pine Street, South and North Third Street, Market Street, Hodgson Street, Fifth Street, and Mt. Vernon Street. The many smaller streets connecting these main streets are also in the Historic District.
 
In order to qualify for a house plaque, the house must be contained within the Oxford Historic District and must have been built before 1939. The cost of the plaque is $85.00. Anyone interested in obtaining a plaque, may send his contact information, along with a check payable to the Oxford Historic Commission, to: Oxford Historic Commission, 401 Market Street, Oxford, PA 19363.     
 
Press Release from the Oxford Historic Commission regarding House Plaque Program: (PDF download)
 

Oxford Historic District Plaque
 

The Oxford Historic Commission has worked dilgently since 1989 to form a historic district within the town of Oxford PA. Their hard work finally paid off in February 2008 when the Oxford Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Join other members of our community in proudly displaying your property's membership on the National Register. Download an order form to purchase a solid brass plaque to display on your house. The plaque will display the year your property was established, if known.
 
To see if your property is listed as part of the Oxford Historic District please download this 18 page PDF that lists all known properties.
 
To purchase the Oxford Historic District Plaque:
 
Please fill out the form, submit it along with a check for $85 to
 
The Oxford Historic Commission
401 Market Street
Oxford PA 19363
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The History of the Borough of Oxford

 

From Hood's Tavern to Oxford Borough
 

The Borough of Oxford, conveniently located in Southern Chester County in Pennsylvania, started as an intersection of several trails. There were trails from the Delaware to the Susquehanna, from the lower Delaware to the Upper Octorara. One of those trails was the Nanticoke Trail which Indians followed from the Poconos to the Northeast. It was a good camping area with several springs, where the Indians could fish and gather shellfish in the warm season. Early settlers followed this road calling it Limestone Road as they carried limestone from the early quarries to spread on their fields. The portion of Limestone Road that came through the center of Oxford became Third Street.
Around 1754, when there were a few farms in the area, a blacksmith, and charcoal makers in the abundant woods, an inn was built at the site of the Oxford Hotel and a sessions house and grave yard established on the site of the Green by the Presbyterian Church. The area became known as Hood's Crossing, after the name of the inn, Hood's Tavern.
 
In the 1700's, after changes in the extent, area and names of the developing townships the area became known as Oxford Crossing, or Oxford Village.
 
In 1805, an Oxford post office was established. In 1833, Oxford was elevated to a borough. With additional incorporation legislation in 1833, a borough council and officers were elected, and official records of the town began.
 
Oxford's greatest growth, building, and expansion era came after the Civil War, with early industrial and railroad development. It was then, in the "Gaslight Era" of 1870 to 1900, that many of our sturdy Victorian houses were built and the town assumed the basic appearance seen today.
 
 
 
 
The Oxford Town Clock, which sits proudly on the National Penn Bank in Oxford on South Third Street was restored in May of 2001.
 
The clock was dedicated to the spirit of citizen volunteer cooperation and the cause of local historic preservation.
 
 
 
 
 

 

Oxford Historic District Map

Click on map above to download a larger PDF version of the Oxford Historic District